Terug naar overzicht

Hard to earn a supplementry income

A student who comes from outside the European Union (EU) is allowed to work four hours a week maximum, or full time during summertime. But he first must have a special work permit for that, a 'tewerkstellingvergunning'. For an employer it’s al lot of bureaucratic fuss to ask for this allowance. Punt already wrote about this after complaints made by Eric Orr a former student at the Avans School of International Studies (ASIS) in Breda and native American.

In countries like Finland, Ireland, Great Brittain, France, Denmark, Switzerland, Slovenia and Germany, students from outside the EU can start working with only a studentvisa. In these countries there is a maximum amount of hours a student is allowed to work a week, ranged from 14 hours in Germany to 25 hours in Finland. Sweden is the only country they can work full time the whole year. In Belgium, Norway and Poland students can only work during holidays.

‘There’s a big difference in the procedures when you’re asking for a work permit’, says Jennike Lokhoff from Nuffic. ‘In Denmark it’s a formality, in Bulgaria you have to wait months.’ Also the question of extra insurances is important. ‘In the Netherlands a non-EUstudent must have a health care insurance, mostly these costs don’t match with the earnings.’ 

Also in other popular destinations like Spain, Japan, Italy, Greece and Austria it is not possible to earn supplementary money with only al studentvisa as base. [HC/HOP, translation: PM]

Punt. Of had jij nog wat?

Meer lezen?